From a manuscript dating around 1550 and a printed essay on royal fests celebrated in Palermo, published in 1703, we know the existence of a labyrinth in the garden of the aristocrat Giovan Tomaso Moncada, built in the seventies or eighties of fifteenth century in the countryside near Palermo. It is the set of a rich banquet offered to the Viceroy Ferdinando de Acuña. According to the author of the manuscript, Gian Giacomo Adria, the reference model was the Cretan labyrinth of the Minotaur and it had a quadrangular shape, with eight circuits, surrounded by a wall decorated with broken keys. Even if we don’t have enough elements to identify the sources used by the unknown author of the Sicilian labyrinth, it testifies of a literary knowledge suitable with the cultural profile of the client himself.
|Numero di pagine||7|
|Rivista||LEXICON. STORIE E ARCHITETTURA IN SICILIA|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2017|