The restoration of Santa Maria delle Grazie Church in Santa Margherita di Belice (Sicily): conservation of the of the architectural remains and critical redefinition of the structural casing

Risultato della ricerca: Conference contribution

Abstract

In the earthquake zone of the Belice Valley in Sicily, many drastic demolitions and stylistic restorations were made, but - among the few interventions conducted according to the shared principles of the restoration discipline - it must be remembered the pseudo-completion of the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Santa Margherita di Belice. The intervention transposed in the restoration site a planning gesture based on the conservation of the still surviving irreproducible material substance and the innovative redefinition of the structural volume. A theca of wood, glass and metal has reformed the structure of the church just approaching the apse and the wall still present. The sequence of wooden supports was modulated on the proportion of the original walls and the added parts to the remains of the church are an authentic expression of project inscribed in the original volume. The restoration also had the insight to define an effective element of connection between the remains of the ancient San Vito district and the new structure of the urban centre, partially repairing the rift between the two historical dimensions.
Lingua originaleItalian
Titolo della pubblicazione ospiteReUSO. III Congreso Internacional sobre Documentación, Conservación y Reutilización del Patrimonio Arquitectónico y Paisajístico
Pagine1492-1499
Numero di pagine8
Stato di pubblicazionePublished - 2015

Cita questo