Stanislao Cannizzaro worked at Palermo University for about ten years. There he managed toestablish a modern and well-equipped chemical laboratory. His international fame attracted co-workers even from abroad: Naquet, Lieben, and Körner came to Palermo to work with him. Thisgreatly improved the quality of teaching and of research in Palermo, which became a worldwideacknowledged center of chemical culture. In Palermo, atomic-molecular theory was extensivelytaught and research was carried out on chemical atomicity (valence) and spatial structures of bothaliphatic and aromatic organic molecules: Körner found the relative positions of substituent groupson the benzene ring, Paternò proved the equivalence of the four positions around each carbon atom.Thanks to Cannizzaro s and Paternò s efforts, a new journal, Gazzetta Chimica Italiana, wasprinted in Palermo. The journal collected original papers from Italian chemists, and summaries ortranslations of foreign ones. When Cannizzaro moved to Rome in 1872, Emanuele Paternò, theyoungest of his pupils, took his place. Eventually, Paternò also moved to Rome, and the leadingrole of Palermo in Italian chemistry faded.
|Numero di pagine||14|
|Rivista||CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2009|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes