After the big earthquake of Messina in 1908, a lot of important fragments of the ancient city, coming from destroyed palaces and churches, were transported in a open space near the ancient church of SS. Salvatore, where in an old silk factory was born the actual Regional Museum of Messina. The arrangement of those elements - as Marble sculptures, big fragments of architectural decorations, stone portals - was long debated and different architects, art historians and archaeologists produced ideas and projects about the costruction of a new museum and the arrangement in open space of many fragments, so important to maintaining the memory of the ancient city of Messina, destroyed by the earthquake. Among the important architects who created projects about the new museum of Messina, we can remember Valenti, Calandra, Scarpa and Minissi. Today the new museum is opening but only few architectural fragments were arranged, in part in interior and in part in open air; most of them are stored and after a century are in bad conditions, because of thr rain, the pollution and the wind.
|Numero di pagine||11|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2012|