Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study.

Maria Rosaria Valerio, Rosalbino Biamonte, Massimo Di Maio, Saverio Danese, Alessandra Vernaglia Lombardi, Giacomo Cartenì, Antonio Febbraro, Giovanni Di Vagno, Bruno Massidda, Carmela Pisano, Marco Marinaccio, Sandro Pignata, Giuseppe Colucci, Luigi Manzione, Andrea De Matteis, Sabino De Placido, Francesco Perrone, Mario Nardi, Giampietro Gasparini, Giovanni ScambiaCalogera Pisano

Risultato della ricerca: Article

92 Citazioni (Scopus)

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Carboplatin/paclitaxel is the chemotherapy of choice for advanced ovarian cancer, both in first line and in platinum-sensitive recurrence. Although a significant proportion of patients have some neurotoxicity during treatment, the long-term outcome of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy has been scantly studied. We retrospectively assessed the prevalence of residual neuropathy in a cohort of patients in clinical remission after first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel for advanced ovarian cancer.METHODS: 120 patients have been included in this study (101 participating in a multicentre phase III trial evaluating the efficacy of consolidation treatment with topotecan, and 19 treated at the National Cancer Institute of Naples after the end of the trial). All patients received carboplatin (AUC 5) plus paclitaxel (175 mg/m2) every 3 weeks for 6 cycles, completing treatment between 1998 and 2003. Data were collected between May and September 2004. Residual sensory and motor neurotoxicity were coded according to the National Cancer Institute--Common Toxicity Criteria.RESULTS: 55 patients (46%) did not experience any grade of neurological toxicity during chemotherapy and of these none had signs of neuropathy during follow-up. The other 65 patients (54%) had chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity during treatment and follow-up data are available for 60 of them. Fourteen out of 60 patients (23%) referred residual neuropathy at the most recent follow-up visit, after a median follow up of 18 months (range, 7-58 months): 12 patients had grade 1 and 2 patients grade 2 peripheral sensory neuropathy; 3 patients also had grade 1 motor neuropathy. The remaining 46/60 patients (77%) had no residual neuropathy at the moment of interview: recovery from neurotoxicity had occurred in the first 2 months after the end of chemotherapy in 22 (37%), between 2 and 6 months in 15 (25%), or after more than 6 months in 9 patients (15%). Considering all 120 treated patients, there was a 15% probability of persistent neurological toxicity 6 months after the end of chemotherapy.CONCLUSION: A significant proportion of patients with advanced ovarian cancer treated with first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel suffer long-term residual neuropathy. This issue should be carefully taken into account before considering re-treatment with the same agents in sensitive recurrent disease
Lingua originaleEnglish
pagine (da-a)5-5
RivistaBMC Cancer
Volume6
Stato di pubblicazionePublished - 2006

Fingerprint

Carboplatin
Paclitaxel
Ovarian Neoplasms
Retrospective Studies
Drug Therapy
National Cancer Institute (U.S.)
Topotecan
Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
Therapeutics
Platinum
Area Under Curve

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Genetics
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Cita questo

Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study. / Valerio, Maria Rosaria; Biamonte, Rosalbino; Di Maio, Massimo; Danese, Saverio; Lombardi, Alessandra Vernaglia; Cartenì, Giacomo; Febbraro, Antonio; Di Vagno, Giovanni; Massidda, Bruno; Pisano, Carmela; Marinaccio, Marco; Pignata, Sandro; Colucci, Giuseppe; Manzione, Luigi; De Matteis, Andrea; De Placido, Sabino; Perrone, Francesco; Nardi, Mario; Gasparini, Giampietro; Scambia, Giovanni; Pisano, Calogera.

In: BMC Cancer, Vol. 6, 2006, pag. 5-5.

Risultato della ricerca: Article

Valerio, MR, Biamonte, R, Di Maio, M, Danese, S, Lombardi, AV, Cartenì, G, Febbraro, A, Di Vagno, G, Massidda, B, Pisano, C, Marinaccio, M, Pignata, S, Colucci, G, Manzione, L, De Matteis, A, De Placido, S, Perrone, F, Nardi, M, Gasparini, G, Scambia, G & Pisano, C 2006, 'Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study.', BMC Cancer, vol. 6, pagg. 5-5.
Valerio, Maria Rosaria ; Biamonte, Rosalbino ; Di Maio, Massimo ; Danese, Saverio ; Lombardi, Alessandra Vernaglia ; Cartenì, Giacomo ; Febbraro, Antonio ; Di Vagno, Giovanni ; Massidda, Bruno ; Pisano, Carmela ; Marinaccio, Marco ; Pignata, Sandro ; Colucci, Giuseppe ; Manzione, Luigi ; De Matteis, Andrea ; De Placido, Sabino ; Perrone, Francesco ; Nardi, Mario ; Gasparini, Giampietro ; Scambia, Giovanni ; Pisano, Calogera. / Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study. In: BMC Cancer. 2006 ; Vol. 6. pagg. 5-5.
@article{c871fec1a4194f7e854c70c0a79e06f4,
title = "Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study.",
abstract = "BACKGROUND: Carboplatin/paclitaxel is the chemotherapy of choice for advanced ovarian cancer, both in first line and in platinum-sensitive recurrence. Although a significant proportion of patients have some neurotoxicity during treatment, the long-term outcome of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy has been scantly studied. We retrospectively assessed the prevalence of residual neuropathy in a cohort of patients in clinical remission after first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel for advanced ovarian cancer.METHODS: 120 patients have been included in this study (101 participating in a multicentre phase III trial evaluating the efficacy of consolidation treatment with topotecan, and 19 treated at the National Cancer Institute of Naples after the end of the trial). All patients received carboplatin (AUC 5) plus paclitaxel (175 mg/m2) every 3 weeks for 6 cycles, completing treatment between 1998 and 2003. Data were collected between May and September 2004. Residual sensory and motor neurotoxicity were coded according to the National Cancer Institute--Common Toxicity Criteria.RESULTS: 55 patients (46{\%}) did not experience any grade of neurological toxicity during chemotherapy and of these none had signs of neuropathy during follow-up. The other 65 patients (54{\%}) had chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity during treatment and follow-up data are available for 60 of them. Fourteen out of 60 patients (23{\%}) referred residual neuropathy at the most recent follow-up visit, after a median follow up of 18 months (range, 7-58 months): 12 patients had grade 1 and 2 patients grade 2 peripheral sensory neuropathy; 3 patients also had grade 1 motor neuropathy. The remaining 46/60 patients (77{\%}) had no residual neuropathy at the moment of interview: recovery from neurotoxicity had occurred in the first 2 months after the end of chemotherapy in 22 (37{\%}), between 2 and 6 months in 15 (25{\%}), or after more than 6 months in 9 patients (15{\%}). Considering all 120 treated patients, there was a 15{\%} probability of persistent neurological toxicity 6 months after the end of chemotherapy.CONCLUSION: A significant proportion of patients with advanced ovarian cancer treated with first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel suffer long-term residual neuropathy. This issue should be carefully taken into account before considering re-treatment with the same agents in sensitive recurrent disease",
author = "Valerio, {Maria Rosaria} and Rosalbino Biamonte and {Di Maio}, Massimo and Saverio Danese and Lombardi, {Alessandra Vernaglia} and Giacomo Carten{\`i} and Antonio Febbraro and {Di Vagno}, Giovanni and Bruno Massidda and Carmela Pisano and Marco Marinaccio and Sandro Pignata and Giuseppe Colucci and Luigi Manzione and {De Matteis}, Andrea and {De Placido}, Sabino and Francesco Perrone and Mario Nardi and Giampietro Gasparini and Giovanni Scambia and Calogera Pisano",
year = "2006",
language = "English",
volume = "6",
pages = "5--5",
journal = "BMC Cancer",
issn = "1471-2407",
publisher = "BioMed Central",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Residual neurotoxicity in ovarian cancer patients in clinical remission afterfirst-line chemotherapy with carboplatin and paclitaxel: the Multicenter ItalianTrial in Ovarian cancer (MITO-4) retrospective study.

AU - Valerio, Maria Rosaria

AU - Biamonte, Rosalbino

AU - Di Maio, Massimo

AU - Danese, Saverio

AU - Lombardi, Alessandra Vernaglia

AU - Cartenì, Giacomo

AU - Febbraro, Antonio

AU - Di Vagno, Giovanni

AU - Massidda, Bruno

AU - Pisano, Carmela

AU - Marinaccio, Marco

AU - Pignata, Sandro

AU - Colucci, Giuseppe

AU - Manzione, Luigi

AU - De Matteis, Andrea

AU - De Placido, Sabino

AU - Perrone, Francesco

AU - Nardi, Mario

AU - Gasparini, Giampietro

AU - Scambia, Giovanni

AU - Pisano, Calogera

PY - 2006

Y1 - 2006

N2 - BACKGROUND: Carboplatin/paclitaxel is the chemotherapy of choice for advanced ovarian cancer, both in first line and in platinum-sensitive recurrence. Although a significant proportion of patients have some neurotoxicity during treatment, the long-term outcome of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy has been scantly studied. We retrospectively assessed the prevalence of residual neuropathy in a cohort of patients in clinical remission after first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel for advanced ovarian cancer.METHODS: 120 patients have been included in this study (101 participating in a multicentre phase III trial evaluating the efficacy of consolidation treatment with topotecan, and 19 treated at the National Cancer Institute of Naples after the end of the trial). All patients received carboplatin (AUC 5) plus paclitaxel (175 mg/m2) every 3 weeks for 6 cycles, completing treatment between 1998 and 2003. Data were collected between May and September 2004. Residual sensory and motor neurotoxicity were coded according to the National Cancer Institute--Common Toxicity Criteria.RESULTS: 55 patients (46%) did not experience any grade of neurological toxicity during chemotherapy and of these none had signs of neuropathy during follow-up. The other 65 patients (54%) had chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity during treatment and follow-up data are available for 60 of them. Fourteen out of 60 patients (23%) referred residual neuropathy at the most recent follow-up visit, after a median follow up of 18 months (range, 7-58 months): 12 patients had grade 1 and 2 patients grade 2 peripheral sensory neuropathy; 3 patients also had grade 1 motor neuropathy. The remaining 46/60 patients (77%) had no residual neuropathy at the moment of interview: recovery from neurotoxicity had occurred in the first 2 months after the end of chemotherapy in 22 (37%), between 2 and 6 months in 15 (25%), or after more than 6 months in 9 patients (15%). Considering all 120 treated patients, there was a 15% probability of persistent neurological toxicity 6 months after the end of chemotherapy.CONCLUSION: A significant proportion of patients with advanced ovarian cancer treated with first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel suffer long-term residual neuropathy. This issue should be carefully taken into account before considering re-treatment with the same agents in sensitive recurrent disease

AB - BACKGROUND: Carboplatin/paclitaxel is the chemotherapy of choice for advanced ovarian cancer, both in first line and in platinum-sensitive recurrence. Although a significant proportion of patients have some neurotoxicity during treatment, the long-term outcome of chemotherapy-induced neuropathy has been scantly studied. We retrospectively assessed the prevalence of residual neuropathy in a cohort of patients in clinical remission after first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel for advanced ovarian cancer.METHODS: 120 patients have been included in this study (101 participating in a multicentre phase III trial evaluating the efficacy of consolidation treatment with topotecan, and 19 treated at the National Cancer Institute of Naples after the end of the trial). All patients received carboplatin (AUC 5) plus paclitaxel (175 mg/m2) every 3 weeks for 6 cycles, completing treatment between 1998 and 2003. Data were collected between May and September 2004. Residual sensory and motor neurotoxicity were coded according to the National Cancer Institute--Common Toxicity Criteria.RESULTS: 55 patients (46%) did not experience any grade of neurological toxicity during chemotherapy and of these none had signs of neuropathy during follow-up. The other 65 patients (54%) had chemotherapy-induced neurotoxicity during treatment and follow-up data are available for 60 of them. Fourteen out of 60 patients (23%) referred residual neuropathy at the most recent follow-up visit, after a median follow up of 18 months (range, 7-58 months): 12 patients had grade 1 and 2 patients grade 2 peripheral sensory neuropathy; 3 patients also had grade 1 motor neuropathy. The remaining 46/60 patients (77%) had no residual neuropathy at the moment of interview: recovery from neurotoxicity had occurred in the first 2 months after the end of chemotherapy in 22 (37%), between 2 and 6 months in 15 (25%), or after more than 6 months in 9 patients (15%). Considering all 120 treated patients, there was a 15% probability of persistent neurological toxicity 6 months after the end of chemotherapy.CONCLUSION: A significant proportion of patients with advanced ovarian cancer treated with first-line carboplatin/paclitaxel suffer long-term residual neuropathy. This issue should be carefully taken into account before considering re-treatment with the same agents in sensitive recurrent disease

UR - http://hdl.handle.net/10447/10953

M3 - Article

VL - 6

SP - 5

EP - 5

JO - BMC Cancer

JF - BMC Cancer

SN - 1471-2407

ER -