The idea of opening the walled city of Messina toward its port, replacing the medieval wall with anarchitectonic façade, was a political and military challenge launched by the city to the Crown of Spain.The project was first taken up in 1556, when the viceroy Juan de Vega and the architect-sculptorGiovannangelo Montorsoli .initiated the public use of the dock with the realization of the fountain ofNeptune, thus creating the foundations for a city seafront. At the end of the 16th century, Jacopo DelDuca first convinced the city rulers to knock down part of the walls to build the Palazzo del Banco.Later, the entire wall was to be transformed into a single, repeated façade. It was only in 1622 that theviceroy Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy approved the master plan to rebuild the entire façade with a newproject under the guide of Giovanni Antonio Ponzello.We now propose to redesign that 17th century façade with all its variations. The drawing andiconographic bases from which it has been possible to derive the architectural module have beenidentified, along with the criteria with which the political-entrepreneurial interests of the city weremarried with the ambitious requests of private citizens.
|Numero di pagine||11|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2014|