Pedodiversity

Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S

Risultato della ricerca: Book

Abstract

In Chap. 6, dealing with pedodiversity of Italy, Edoardo A. C. Costantini, Roberto Barbetti, Maria Fantappie` , Giovanni L’Abate, Romina Lorenzetti, and Simona Magini illustrate the distribution of soil classes, mainly by means of maps. Soil regions on hills are the most lithologically and climatically variable environments, and host the greatest soil variability and endemisms. A vast majority of the WRB reference soil groups (25 out of 32), as well as soil orders of Soil Taxonomy (10 out of 12) are represented in the main Italian soil typological units (STUs), but the clear skewness and lognormal distribution of STUs demonstrate the utmost endemic nature of many Italian soils. In particular, more than a fourth of STUs belong to Cambisols, more than a half to only four reference soil groups (Cambisols, Luvisols, Regosols, Phaeozems), and 88 % to nine RSGs (the former plus Calcisols, Vertisols, Fluvisols, Leptosols, and Andosols), while the remaining 16 RSGs are represented in 12 % of STUs. A similar trend is depicted by considering single soil profile classification, although a larger number of main soil types are represented as soil profiles than as STUs. In particular, there are profiles classified as Albeluvisol, Anthrosol, Cryosol, Plinthosol, and Technosol of WRB, and Gelisols of Soil Taxonomy, which are not correlated to a STU. Consequently, Ferralsols (Oxisols for Soil Taxonomy) and Durisols are the only main kind of soils that have not yet been found in Italy. Likewise RSGs, the distribution of WRB qualifiers shows an evident concentration in relatively few cases, followed by a long tail. In particular, 138 out of the 180 types foreseen by WRB are represented in Italy. Thus, it is possible to say that in Italy there is about three-quarters of the global pedodiversity. Although the most common qualifiers (that is Calcaric, Haplic, Skeletic, Eutric) are all related to the nature of parent material and to incipient pedogenesis, a second group (namely Chromic,Calcic, Stagnic, and Luvic) indicates the main soil forming mechanisms that typify current Italian pedogenesis.
Lingua originaleEnglish
EditoreSpringer Science+Business Media
Numero di pagine74
Volume11
ISBN (stampa)978-94-007-5642-7
Stato di pubblicazionePublished - 2013

Serie di pubblicazioni

NomeWORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES

Fingerprint

soil
Cambisol
pedogenesis
soil profile
Ferralsol
Regosol
Fluvisol
Andosol
frozen ground
Luvisol
Vertisol
skewness
parent material

Cita questo

Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S (2013). Pedodiversity. (WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES). Springer Science+Business Media.

Pedodiversity. / Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S.

Springer Science+Business Media, 2013. 74 pag. (WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES).

Risultato della ricerca: Book

Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S 2013, Pedodiversity. WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES, vol. 11, Springer Science+Business Media.
Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S. Pedodiversity. Springer Science+Business Media, 2013. 74 pag. (WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES).
Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S. / Pedodiversity. Springer Science+Business Media, 2013. 74 pag. (WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES).
@book{146450a7e260469bbfe9c79865ab9e6d,
title = "Pedodiversity",
abstract = "In Chap. 6, dealing with pedodiversity of Italy, Edoardo A. C. Costantini, Roberto Barbetti, Maria Fantappie` , Giovanni L’Abate, Romina Lorenzetti, and Simona Magini illustrate the distribution of soil classes, mainly by means of maps. Soil regions on hills are the most lithologically and climatically variable environments, and host the greatest soil variability and endemisms. A vast majority of the WRB reference soil groups (25 out of 32), as well as soil orders of Soil Taxonomy (10 out of 12) are represented in the main Italian soil typological units (STUs), but the clear skewness and lognormal distribution of STUs demonstrate the utmost endemic nature of many Italian soils. In particular, more than a fourth of STUs belong to Cambisols, more than a half to only four reference soil groups (Cambisols, Luvisols, Regosols, Phaeozems), and 88 {\%} to nine RSGs (the former plus Calcisols, Vertisols, Fluvisols, Leptosols, and Andosols), while the remaining 16 RSGs are represented in 12 {\%} of STUs. A similar trend is depicted by considering single soil profile classification, although a larger number of main soil types are represented as soil profiles than as STUs. In particular, there are profiles classified as Albeluvisol, Anthrosol, Cryosol, Plinthosol, and Technosol of WRB, and Gelisols of Soil Taxonomy, which are not correlated to a STU. Consequently, Ferralsols (Oxisols for Soil Taxonomy) and Durisols are the only main kind of soils that have not yet been found in Italy. Likewise RSGs, the distribution of WRB qualifiers shows an evident concentration in relatively few cases, followed by a long tail. In particular, 138 out of the 180 types foreseen by WRB are represented in Italy. Thus, it is possible to say that in Italy there is about three-quarters of the global pedodiversity. Although the most common qualifiers (that is Calcaric, Haplic, Skeletic, Eutric) are all related to the nature of parent material and to incipient pedogenesis, a second group (namely Chromic,Calcic, Stagnic, and Luvic) indicates the main soil forming mechanisms that typify current Italian pedogenesis.",
author = "{Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappi{\`e}, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S} and Maria Fantappie'",
year = "2013",
language = "English",
isbn = "978-94-007-5642-7",
volume = "11",
series = "WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES",
publisher = "Springer Science+Business Media",

}

TY - BOOK

T1 - Pedodiversity

AU - Costantini, Eac; Barbetti, R; Fantappiè, M; L'Abate, G; Lorenzetti, R; Magini, S

AU - Fantappie', Maria

PY - 2013

Y1 - 2013

N2 - In Chap. 6, dealing with pedodiversity of Italy, Edoardo A. C. Costantini, Roberto Barbetti, Maria Fantappie` , Giovanni L’Abate, Romina Lorenzetti, and Simona Magini illustrate the distribution of soil classes, mainly by means of maps. Soil regions on hills are the most lithologically and climatically variable environments, and host the greatest soil variability and endemisms. A vast majority of the WRB reference soil groups (25 out of 32), as well as soil orders of Soil Taxonomy (10 out of 12) are represented in the main Italian soil typological units (STUs), but the clear skewness and lognormal distribution of STUs demonstrate the utmost endemic nature of many Italian soils. In particular, more than a fourth of STUs belong to Cambisols, more than a half to only four reference soil groups (Cambisols, Luvisols, Regosols, Phaeozems), and 88 % to nine RSGs (the former plus Calcisols, Vertisols, Fluvisols, Leptosols, and Andosols), while the remaining 16 RSGs are represented in 12 % of STUs. A similar trend is depicted by considering single soil profile classification, although a larger number of main soil types are represented as soil profiles than as STUs. In particular, there are profiles classified as Albeluvisol, Anthrosol, Cryosol, Plinthosol, and Technosol of WRB, and Gelisols of Soil Taxonomy, which are not correlated to a STU. Consequently, Ferralsols (Oxisols for Soil Taxonomy) and Durisols are the only main kind of soils that have not yet been found in Italy. Likewise RSGs, the distribution of WRB qualifiers shows an evident concentration in relatively few cases, followed by a long tail. In particular, 138 out of the 180 types foreseen by WRB are represented in Italy. Thus, it is possible to say that in Italy there is about three-quarters of the global pedodiversity. Although the most common qualifiers (that is Calcaric, Haplic, Skeletic, Eutric) are all related to the nature of parent material and to incipient pedogenesis, a second group (namely Chromic,Calcic, Stagnic, and Luvic) indicates the main soil forming mechanisms that typify current Italian pedogenesis.

AB - In Chap. 6, dealing with pedodiversity of Italy, Edoardo A. C. Costantini, Roberto Barbetti, Maria Fantappie` , Giovanni L’Abate, Romina Lorenzetti, and Simona Magini illustrate the distribution of soil classes, mainly by means of maps. Soil regions on hills are the most lithologically and climatically variable environments, and host the greatest soil variability and endemisms. A vast majority of the WRB reference soil groups (25 out of 32), as well as soil orders of Soil Taxonomy (10 out of 12) are represented in the main Italian soil typological units (STUs), but the clear skewness and lognormal distribution of STUs demonstrate the utmost endemic nature of many Italian soils. In particular, more than a fourth of STUs belong to Cambisols, more than a half to only four reference soil groups (Cambisols, Luvisols, Regosols, Phaeozems), and 88 % to nine RSGs (the former plus Calcisols, Vertisols, Fluvisols, Leptosols, and Andosols), while the remaining 16 RSGs are represented in 12 % of STUs. A similar trend is depicted by considering single soil profile classification, although a larger number of main soil types are represented as soil profiles than as STUs. In particular, there are profiles classified as Albeluvisol, Anthrosol, Cryosol, Plinthosol, and Technosol of WRB, and Gelisols of Soil Taxonomy, which are not correlated to a STU. Consequently, Ferralsols (Oxisols for Soil Taxonomy) and Durisols are the only main kind of soils that have not yet been found in Italy. Likewise RSGs, the distribution of WRB qualifiers shows an evident concentration in relatively few cases, followed by a long tail. In particular, 138 out of the 180 types foreseen by WRB are represented in Italy. Thus, it is possible to say that in Italy there is about three-quarters of the global pedodiversity. Although the most common qualifiers (that is Calcaric, Haplic, Skeletic, Eutric) are all related to the nature of parent material and to incipient pedogenesis, a second group (namely Chromic,Calcic, Stagnic, and Luvic) indicates the main soil forming mechanisms that typify current Italian pedogenesis.

UR - http://hdl.handle.net/10447/105105

UR - http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-007-5642-7_6

M3 - Book

SN - 978-94-007-5642-7

VL - 11

T3 - WORLD SOILS BOOK SERIES

BT - Pedodiversity

PB - Springer Science+Business Media

ER -