ABSTRACT.– Amongst the Sicilian historical gardens it is merited to remember the ornamental garden design of Villa Florio- Pignatelli, situated in the western periphery of Palermo. The building, and probably the garden too, are from the second half of the 18. century. This article contains the result of a cognitive study of its history, architecture and vegetal composition, based on field studies in the garden itself, on bibliographical and archival work. In 1838 it was sold by the Duke of Cumia to Vincenzo Florio, who in following conceded it to his son Ignazio. Already at this time, there was a garden with a "flora all’Italiana" behind the Villa, which had circular vials in radial order, demarcated with a box-hedge (Buxus sempervirens), much like a small reproduction of the more famous and celebrated Villa Giulia (1777), the first public garden in the town.The elegance of the garden's proportions is based on at least four geometric orders interacting with each other. They reveal evi- dence of important fixed points or "topoi" of the garden; these affirm that the apparent simplicity contains complicated arith- metic and geometric relations in an exceptional union of architectural and botanical significance.
|Numero di pagine||35|
|Rivista||QUADERNI DI BOTANICA AMBIENTALE E APPLICATA|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2003|