In the 1960s, the electric power industry was the driving force for the industrialisation process in Sicily. The Augusta power station was the first wide work that launched the development process of the island, starting from its south-eastern coast. In 1956, its design was submitted to Giuseppe Samonà, one of the most important Italian architects of the 20th century, Dean of the IUAV at that time. The power station - no longer in use now -, which can be considered as a very good example of industrial architecture, is located in the petrochemical complex of Augusta, directly connected to the harbour and the city. This is a historically layered place, in which the ancient Greek town of Megara Hyblaea is the most prominent archaeological site. Enel Spa, the Italian electric utility company and owner of the power station, acknowledging its potential, has submitted its re-use and re-design to the Department of Architecture of Palermo. This action could trigger a deep changing in the industrial landscape in order to start up new housing, cultural and social opportunities.
|Numero di pagine||7|
|Rivista||AGRIBUSINESS PAESAGGIO & AMBIENTE|
|Volume||Rivista Agribusiness Paesaggio & Ambiente|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2014|
Sciortino, L., & Zaffora, F. (2014). Il restauro del moderno: la centrale termoelettrica di Giuseppe Samonà, Augusta (SR). AGRIBUSINESS PAESAGGIO & AMBIENTE, Rivista Agribusiness Paesaggio & Ambiente, 255-261.