THE MONUMENTS TO THE SPANISH KINGS IN SICILY IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE 17TH CENTURY : THE CASE OF FILIPPO IV IN PALERMO AND CARLO II IN MESSINA-Two imposing monuments were erected in Sicily in the second half of the 17th Century to celebrate the last kings of Spain belonging to the Asburgo family: the “theater” of Filippo IV, placed in the square in front of the Palermo Royal Palace (since 1661) and the equestrian statue of Charles II (since 1680), placed in the Messina Cathedral square. The two monuments paid homage in Sicily, in the chosen places as the symbol of the Spanish crown’s power, the kings’ triumphs still alive, according to articulated compositional parameters worthy of attention. The use of a new and magnificent figurative repertoire, partly linked to foreign models, and the triple sculptural, architectural and urban value possessed by both monuments establish additional reasons that made exceptional the results achieved. The study of these new monuments requires to extend the reasoning to the contribution of the designers and in particularly it allows to reflect on the procedures by which the architects were selected and engaged in Sicily of the second half of the 17th century, in a professional context in which the role of sculptors-architects appears dominant, like the stories that bind the names of Carlo d'Aprile and Giacomo Serpotta to the two monuments studied.
|Titolo della pubblicazione ospite||Ecos culturales, artísticos y arquitectónicos entre Valencia y el Mediterráneo en Época Moderna|
|Numero di pagine||24|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2018|