Ernesto Basile - Ordinamenti e codici dei registri della modernità

Risultato della ricerca: Chapter

Abstract

Ernesto Basile (Palermo 1857 - 1932), after a short assistantship (which started in 1882) at the University chair held by Enrico Guj in Rome, became a professor and later (in 1891) an academic of Technical Architecture first at Rome University (until 1890) and then at Palermo University (basically until his death on August 26, 1932). He began his university career as an assistant of his father, Giovan Battista Filippo Basile (Palermo 1825-1891) holder of the chair of Technical Architecture of Palermo. A genuine interpreter, in the last two decades of the 19th century, of a problematic eclecticism, well anchored to a leading Sicilian tradition in search of "new architectural systems" (that he had inherited from his father), Ernesto Basile had been considerably motivated, since his debut, by innovative methodological aspirations and a will to meet the most advanced international cultures. An example is offered by the Roman projects of the 1880s and, the following decade, by Sicilian production (worthy of note, the Ossario di Calatafimi, the fabric complex for the IV National Exposition in Palermo, Villa Bordonaro, Palazzo Francavilla, for its interiors deco¬rations and the furnishings above all, and the kiosks Ribaudo and Vicari in Piazza Verdi).Of interest, also, are his dissertations on coeval architectural planning, such as Il Concorso per il Monumento a Vittorio Emanuele in Torino (1879), Sulla costruzione dei teatri: Le dimensioni e l'ordinamento dei palchi in rispondenza al costume italiano (1883), Sui mezzi atti a garantire la sicurez¬za dei teatri in caso d'incendio (1889), and Il Palazzo del Parlamento di Berlino. Notizie storiche, artistiche e tecniche (1889). Among his several memoirs of the bids projects he worked on, he published an article entitled Per il mio progetto del palazzo di Giustizia e per l'Arte (1884) as an answer to the observations on the style he had adopted. Lastly, his essay on Giacomo Serpotta (1656-1732) (in R. Lentini, Le sculture e gli stucchi di Giacomo Serpotta, Torino 1911) is remarkable, and one of the first critical and historical revaluations of Sicilian Baroque art, in the style of writings by Gioacchino Di Marzo and Vincenzo Pitini.Defined by the contemporary critics as the pioneer of the national artistic and architectural "renewal" of the years of Belle Époque, Basile achieved his international popularity in the period been 1899 and 1918, principally for some buildings in Palermo, most of them with a definition of the interior spaces (entirely or affecting only the principal guest rooms) , such as the Palazzina Paternò, the Villino Florio, the Grand Hòtel villa Igiea, the second Utveggio residence, the complex of pavilions for the First Agricultural Exposition, his house in Via Syracuse, the Villino Fassini, the Villa Deliella, the seat of Cassa di Risparmio, the Kursaal Biondo, the second kiosk Ribaudo, (and a remarkable number of aristocratic chapels) and with such Roman works as the Palazzina Vanoni, the villa of the marquis of Rudinì, the palace of the Chamber of Deputies in Montecitorio, and the Gran Caffè Faraglia (Roma). He successfully participated in the modern international arts and decorations expositions, taking place in Turin (1902) and in Venice (in 1903, 1905 and 1909), as well as the one in Milan (1906), which confirmed his commitment and inventiveness in both the application of the modernist principle of integral architectural planning (applied to several sectors of applied arts, though with a notable prevalence in the furnishing field, the latter leading, beginning in 1899,
Lingua originaleItalian
Titolo della pubblicazione ospiteI Disegni della Collezione Basile
Pagine69-128
Numero di pagine60
Stato di pubblicazionePublished - 2016

Cita questo