The churches with aisles of arches and columns are an archetype of Sicilian architecture. From the Middle Ages to the 18thcentury, the preference for this plan resulted in experiments, evolutions and tests concerned with the science of building in aland exposed to the danger of earthquakes. Contrary to the recommendations dispensed and disseminated by the most authoritativetreatises, the cases presented illustrate how metal tie-rods were used at construction sites in Palermo during the ModernAge when building these constructions. These elements were able to counter the thrust generated by the arches and vaults orcaused by earthquakes on slender and isolated vertical structures like columns. The documents found concerning the constructionof some colonnaded churches started in the 16thcentury, a time when this type of construction witnessed a revival andrenewal, provide insights into a technology that was often utilized in the construction phase, while the case of the Church ofSan Giuseppe dei Teatini (1619) is emblematic of a structure of arches and columns integrated with a grid of iron tie-rods.
|Numero di pagine||13|
|Rivista||LEXICON. STORIE E ARCHITETTURA IN SICILIA|
|Stato di pubblicazione||Published - 2014|