Manifattura Tabacchi

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingChapter

Abstract

[automatically translated] The Manufacture of Palermo Tabacchi found its home in the late '800 in the buildings that had housed the Lazzaretto of the city, on the way Simone Gulì, between existing shipyards and the English Cemetery, on the coast that over the centuries has undergone substantial changes. What remains of the body semi-circular and square with an inner courtyard date back to 1833, when they were built to enlarge the Lazzaretto, designed by the architect. Nicholas Puglia. In these buildings, on the occasion of the change of destination from military hospital in Tobacco Factory, they were approached others in 1885, to house the machinery required to manufacture cigars and cigarettes. THE' building a hemicycle it was partially demolished and were added to the long body used to the receipt of tobacco and the manufacture of cigars and cigarettes and neighboring warehouses with the area of the shipyards. It was then built in the '30s a building to house the offices and prospettante direction of the inner courtyard, where there are still two fountains: a marble dating back to the construction of the first buildings in the Tobacco Factory; the second built in the 70s with a bronze statue in the center, which represents a sigarettaia to be awarded to a worker then on duty in the factory, around which were placed the four marble tubs removed from the quadrangular body, ancient troughs of horses otherwise slated for elimination. area of the shipyards. It was then built in the '30s a building to house the offices and prospettante direction of the inner courtyard, where there are still two fountains: a marble dating back to the construction of the first buildings in the Tobacco Factory; the second built in the 70s with a bronze statue in the center, which represents a sigarettaia to be awarded to a worker then on duty in the factory, around which were placed the four marble tubs removed from the quadrangular body, ancient troughs of horses otherwise slated for elimination. area of the shipyards. It was then built in the '30s a building to house the offices and prospettante direction of the inner courtyard, where there are still two fountains: a marble dating back to the construction of the first buildings in the Tobacco Factory; the second built in the 70s with a bronze statue in the center, which represents a sigarettaia to be awarded to a worker then on duty in the factory, around which were placed the four marble tubs removed from the quadrangular body, ancient troughs of horses otherwise slated for elimination. a marble dating back to the construction of the first buildings in the Tobacco Factory; the second built in the 70s with a bronze statue in the center, which represents a sigarettaia to be awarded to a worker then on duty in the factory, around which were placed the four marble tubs removed from the quadrangular body, ancient troughs of horses otherwise slated for elimination. a marble dating back to the construction of the first buildings in the Tobacco Factory; the second built in the 70s with a bronze statue in the center, which represents a sigarettaia to be awarded to a worker then on duty in the factory, around which were placed the four marble tubs removed from the quadrangular body, ancient troughs of horses otherwise slated for elimination.
Original languageItalian
Title of host publicationArcheologia industriale. Palermo
Pages98-99
Number of pages2
Publication statusPublished - 2015

Cite this