Il tempo grande costruttore

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


[automatically translated] The cathedral of Syracuse, located on the highest part of the historic core of the island of Ortigia, is an architecturally constructive centuries-old history. Ancient greek Athenaion, was transformed into a Christian basilica between the fourth and sixth centuries AD, with a bell tower in front in the Middle Ages, which collapsed in the earthquake of 1542-which also determined the partial concealment of Doric columns on the side-Rhine it was rebuilt and then again to ruin in 1693, while the competition in 1728, organized by bishop Thomas Marini, led to the creation of the new facade, encounter between Roman international models and the local tradition of stone carving. Adjacent to the cathedral, and respecting the alignments, also opened major projects that defined a monumental magna stalls and magnificent, a public forum bounded by the other seats of power: the new bishop's palace and the city palace. From the seventeenth century on the south side was enriched with precious chapels, such as the octagonal chapel or Torres del Sacramento to work Lucchese architect Francesco Buonamici, active for a long time even in Malta, and the chapel of Saint Lucia, with a singular arched entrance "en esviaje" (oblique) and a texture of the stones of the plumes that reveal the influence of other traditions, such as the late Gothic stereotomy, exercised Sicilian architecture. Layers, transformations, modernization and "rebirth", determined not only by the disastrous events but also, and especially, from the initiative of several bishops "builders", has not spoiled, at least inside, the antiquity and uniqueness of the temple structure. Interventions to be interpreted through the balance and the balance of power established over the centuries between the new architecture and the temple.
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)82-89
Number of pages8
Publication statusPublished - 2004

Cite this