Il libeccio antico. Un marmo del Barocco siciliano

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

[automatically translated] The ancient south-west, one of the finest Sicilian marble, widely used in the late sixteenth century and the first half of the eighteenth century, was mined in Custonaci (Trapani) and its varied appearance, with ocher-colored veins and green on a red background , it can be considered well as "baroque" of islanders marbles. The beginnings of its use can be traced in some tombs, but it was widely used in architectural decoration, both in large slabs for wall coverings that in polychrome marble inlays, as well as to create items in the round, such as balustrades and columns. The south-west wind was also popular outside Sicily, and was used in highly prestigious works such as the tomb of Alexander VII in the Vatican basilica, Bernini (1672-78),
Original languageItalian
Pages (from-to)51-66
Number of pages16
JournalLEXICON. STORIE E ARCHITETTURA IN SICILIA
VolumeUnico
Publication statusPublished - 2009

Cite this