Essential oil composition and antibacterial activity of Anthemis mixta L. and Anthemis tomentosa L. (Asteraceae)

Maurizio Bruno, Antonella Maria Maggio, Francesco Maria Raimondo, Daniela Rigano, Felice Senatore, Carmen Formisano

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

In the present study the chemical composition of the essential oils from aerial parts and roots of Anthemis mixta L. and A. tomentosa L. was evaluated by GC and GC-MS, and their antibacterial activity tested against ten bacterial species. Hexadecanoic acid (15.2%) was recognized as the main constituent of A. mixta, together with τ-cadinol (6.7%), while in both aerial parts and roots of A. tomentosa nonacosane (21.9% and 20.7%), heptacosane (8.1% and 6.0%), hexadecanoic acid (8.1% and 27.1%) and hexahydrofarnesylacetone (6.8% and 5.5%) prevailed. The oils from aerial parts of both species showed a good activity against Gram-positive bacteria. These results suggest that the plants could be potentially used in food manufacture and cosmetology as preservative agents or in medicine as new antibiotics
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1379-1382
Number of pages4
JournalNatural Product Communications
Volume7
Publication statusPublished - 2012

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Pharmacology
  • Plant Science
  • Drug Discovery
  • Complementary and alternative medicine

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Essential oil composition and antibacterial activity of Anthemis mixta L. and Anthemis tomentosa L. (Asteraceae)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this