ARCHITETTURA E BOTANICA DEL SACRO CALVARIO DI GANGI (SICILIA)

Research output: Contribution to conferenceOther

Abstract

[automatically translated] Calvary, from the Latin Golgotha indicating the place of the Crucifixion of Christ, is a type of cult monument of the Christian religion whose genesis dates back to the Middle Ages, the era of long pilgrimages of the faithful who, for that reason, they felt the need to create places that substitute summon Sante goals, too distant. In Italy, especially in Piedmont and Lombardy, the construction of these complexes taken early after the Council of Trent especially in the form of Sacred Mountains which, in fact, constitute the main expression. In Sicily, the tradition of "Calvaries" was introduced in the eighteenth century by the Jesuits who built them generally on high ground or, alternatively, in the presence of a plateau, using the medium stage of the staircase, It is to symbolize the "via dolorosa" traveled by the Nazarene is to fulfill the function of connection between the Holy Place and the neighboring village. While each has its own ordeal constructive uniqueness, the different cases in Sicily have in common the presence of three basic elements: the cypress tree; isolation; the orientation to North, Northeast (Lima, 1984). The Sacred Calvary of Gangi (Palermo), whose construction dates back to 1826, when he came to the place one of the Jesuit Missions, was completed and finished between 1843 and 1858. Today, it is located in the historical center of the village of low Madonie , in the neighborhood of the church of St. Mary of Jesus, and is the centerpiece of Holy Week celebrations. The architectural investigation has revealed the existence of a rigorous and "cultured" geometry that underlies the entire system, both as regards the component of "mineral", both for the "vegetable." Even the measures richiamno symbolic meanings all related to the sense of mourning, as evidenced by the batch rectangular within which insists the garden that contains four circles of 10 m in diameter, for a total length of 40 m. In addition, it identifies another circle, partly materialized central newsstand, spread to encompass the external stairs and the center of which is perfectly coincident with the horizontal axis of the garden. The complex is spread over an area of 570 square meters. The wrought-iron gate, which develops on the ideal line placed between the mediation area and garden, It marks the division between the "heavenly" area of the garden, and the scope "ground" of the city proper. The whole plant is enclosed on three sides by high walls, to form an isolated space. The avenues are divided symmetrically into two sectors from the central axis of the stairs and is on three levels. The garden paths are therefore structured for the representation of the Via Crucis that ends with the shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, the place of three crosses. Lima AI, 1984. The sacred dimension of the landscape: the environment and popular architecture in Sicily. Palermo. Flaccovio, Palermo. The avenues are divided symmetrically into two sectors from the central axis of the stairs and is on three levels. The garden paths are therefore structured for the representation of the Via Crucis that ends with the shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows, the place of three crosses. Lima AI, 1984. The sacred dimension of the landscape: the environment and popular architecture in Sicily. Palermo. Flaccovio, Palermo. The avenues are divided symmetrically into two sectors from the central axis of the stairs and is on three levels. The garden paths are therefore structured for the representation of the Via Crucis that ends with the shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows,
Original languageItalian
Pages234-234
Number of pages1
Publication statusPublished - 2011

Cite this